A record number of supporters, including more than 100 golfers participated in the third annual AFR golf tournament, June 21, at the FireLake Golf Course in Shawnee, Okla. All proceeds from the tournament will support the Gold Star Classic-AFR special needs livestock show.
“We are excited to raise funds to give special needs students an opportunity to have a life-enriching experience,” said Terry Detrick, President of the Farmers Union Foundation, the major supporter of the event. “Our golf events have always been focused on helping improve lives of others and we believe this event meets that goal.”
The Gold Star Classic-AFR special needs livestock show, scheduled for Aug. 30 at the Grady County Fairgrounds, is a youth livestock show created for Oklahoma students with special needs. These students will have the opportunity to exhibit and interact with sheep, goats and pigs. Sponsors of this year’s golf tournament will also be recognized as a sponsor of the Gold Star Classic-AFR special needs livestock show.
Individual and team winners include:
- Matt Schieffer, longest drive contest.
- Charlie Rapp, closest to the pin contest.
- First place team, Blain County AFR, Watonga.
- Second place team, Coweta Insurance, Coweta.
- Third place team, Simons Catch, Elk City.
- Brandon Williamson, Elk City, won the AFR Pelican cooler door prize.