AFR members will have the opportunity to discuss key rural and agriculture issues during an informal dinner Aug. 20 at the Red River Technology Center, 3300 W. Bois D’Arc, Duncan. The event, which starts promptly at 6 p.m., is part of a series of eight sessions scheduled for Aug. 7-20 in various locations across Oklahoma.
“We want to use this informal, relaxed atmosphere to learn the critical issues on the minds of Oklahoma farmers and ranchers,” AFR President Terry Detrick, said.
The current agriculture economy, the farm bill, mid-term elections and international trade are among the issues expected to gain attention during the meetings.
“We’ll talk about all of these issues,” Detrick said, “and I am sure the weather will also be a frequent topic, as it is every time you get farmers and ranchers together.”
Detrick added, the issues discussed will lead to new and improved policies for the state’s oldest farm organization.
“The thoughts and ideas surfaced at these barbecues will be used by our members to formulate policies to be voted on at our annual convention in February,” Detrick said. “These policies are important as they will guide our organization throughout the coming year.”
The meetings, two each day, will start promptly with the meal followed by discussions. There will also be staff introductions followed by brief comments. In addition to Duncan, the schedule for the August meetings includes the following venues:
Tuesday, Aug. 7
- Lunch in Muskogee at noon, Northeastern State University, Synar Room 147, 2400 W. Shawnee Street.
- Dinner in Stillwater at 6 p.m., Stillwater Community Center, 315 W. 8th Street.
Thursday, Aug. 9
- Lunch in Atoka at 12 p.m., Kiamichi Technology Center, 1301 W. Liberty Rd.
- Dinner in Tecumseh, Crossing Hearts Ranch, 22214 Skagg City Rd.
Thursday, Aug. 16
- Lunch in Watonga at 12 p.m., American Legion Post 125, 306 S. Noble Ave.
- Dinner in Gate at 6 p.m., Gate Community Center, 210 West 4th.
Monday, Aug. 20
- Lunch in Hobart at 12 p.m., Western Technology Center, 1000 S. Bailey Street.
For more information or to RSVP, please contact Bethany Andrews, firstname.lastname@example.org (405) 218-5531.