The 2018 AFR poster contest attracted more than 5,000 Oklahoma elementary school students, indicating the popularity of a project that has endured through several decades of Oklahoma families. The poster winners were announced at the recent AFR/OFU Convention, Feb. 16, in Norman, Okla.
“This is a fun and educational way for students to learn about agriculture,” said Micaela Danker, AFR/OFU youth development coordinator. “We are impressed with the many creative ways students expressed our theme, ‘fresh from the farm,’ with their original artwork.”
Guidelines for the poster contest included:
- Posters must solely be the work of the student.
- Students may use crayons, markers, pens, pencils, etc.
- Posters were judged on originality, creativity, neatness, content and overall effect.
- There were two age divisions: Division I: Grades 1st and 2nd; and Division II: Grades 3rd and 4th.
- Visa gift cards were awarded to students in each division: First Place: $100; Second Place: $75; Third, Fourth & Fifth Place: $50.
The winners are:
1st KJ Smith, Canton Elementary, Canton
2nd Markie Hallmark, W.R. Teague Elementary, Wagoner
3rd Brady Miller, Maryetta Elementary, Stilwell
4th Tate Clawson, Dahlonegah Elementary, Stilwell
5th Amalyn Switzer, Leedey Elementary, Leedey
1st Lawson Wells, Maryetta Elementary, Stilwell
2nd Kairi Ann Harris, Wright City Elementary, Wright City
3rd Taylor Little, Carnegie Elementary, Carnegie
4th Makinlee Carpenter, Leedey Elementary, Leedey
5th Lindzee Wessels, Cherokee Elementary, Cherokee
PHOTO CAPTION: Pictured are four of the winners from Division II, left to right, Kairi Ann Harris, Wright City Elementary; Taylor Little, Carnegie Elementary; Makinlee Carpenter, Leedey Elementary; Lindzee Wessels, Cherokee Elementrary;